3/20/2013

Kid Activities: Carrots, Candy, & Coloring (pre-school age ideas for learning the letter 'C')


Today, Joanne will share a few ideas for the preschool age that will help make their letter learning more memorable and fun. 




Last year, in preparing my five-year-old daughter for kindergarten, I spent a number of our weekday mornings focusing on some basic activities. The following are some of the fun ways we explored the letter C:



Carrots

First, I pulled out some baby carrots, and we formed them into the shape of the letter C.















Then we ate the carrots as a mid-morning snack (gotta get those vegetables in there somehow). 

Next, we took some pipe cleaners and shaped them into the letter 'C' as well.

Candy
Next, I gave my kids a coloring page of the letter C (link for that in the next section) and a snack size package of M&Ms.  The kids then lined up their candies along the shape of the letter C on their coloring page.

Coloring
One of my favorite website resources is www.twistynoodle.com.  This website is a free resource of hundreds of coloring pages.  I printed a coloring page with the letter C for our study of the letter C, which I let the kids color to finish our letter 'C' activities.
 

When I print an alphabet coloring page, I punch holes in it for storing in a three-ring binder.  That way, when we are finished working our way through the alphabet, my kids will each have an alphabet book they have colored themselves.


What are some of your ideas for teaching your preschoolers their letters and numbers? Feel free to comment and share. We'd love to hear your own ideas!





*make sure to check out Sarah's idea for teaching your primary aged kids to alphabetize with clothespins

No comments:

Post a Comment