11/30/2014

New Children's Books of 2014

Cyber Monday is upon us, friends.

So, before you panic over all of the options (especially if you're looking for some GREAT new children's literature for your kids), we'd like to highlight a few new books that have come out in the past year that we have loved, or at least our kids have loved in some way - and maybe you'll even be able to snag one as an Amazon Lightning Deal (cause who doesn't love a good lightning deal?). We read many new books, but these are the ones that were our "top picks" - included my Very Top Pick for 2014. (To see what that is, scroll to the end) 



NOTE: If you read this post today (12/1/14) and decide to get a book off of Amazon.com, TODAY ONLY you can use code HOLIDAY30 to get 30% off of any print book (yes, that's off of their already-low book prices. And if you're a Prime member, you can select their "No-Rush Shipping" and earn $1 credit- every time - towards kindle books, movies, or music). Okay, sales pitch over. No, we do not work for Amazon. Just excited about good deals. :-) 

Best New Children's Books of 2014 (IMO)

Have You Seen My Dragon
by Steve Light
  • Great for - boys, fantasy lovers, ages 2-5.
  • What I love about this book - I love the pen and ink drawings in this books, especially with all of the black and white pictures with the few colored characters/objects scattered throughout. The book is a little bit of a "seek and find" theme (even though the "dragon" should be found rather easily). But I also loved all of the "city" objects that can be identified throughout - a great teaching tool if you don't already live in a big city and see these things on a regular basis. 
  • What my Son loved about this book - my four-year old loved that this book was about a dragon. Simply put, he's into dragons these days. So if you have a son or child who loves dragons and loves getting caught up in all things fantasy, then they'll love this book. 


Maple
by Lori Nichols 
  • Great for  - boys and girls; siblings; any child who just got or is about to get a sibling. Ages 2-6. 
  • What I love about this book - EVERYTHING. Okay, so I'm prone to hyperbole, but my kids and I did really love this debut picture book of Lori Nichols'. So much so, that we already own it (daughter's birthday was in October, etc.) And not just this book, but the sequel as well (but I'm getting ahead of myself). Anyway, I love the soft, meticulous, beautiful illustrations. And the perfect depiction of little Maple, happily playing outside with "her tree" (you'll never guess what kind). And her realization one day that trees are fine, but little girls need more than trees for friends. And the new tree that starts to grow next to hers. :-) I'll stop there and let you finish the story yourself. But it's a sweet, fun story that we loved reading through.
  • What my kids loved about this book - Both of my kids loved this story. And my son really connected with the idea of being an oldest child and getting a "new sibling" (he's about to get another in a few months). In fact, he connected so much with this story that he is begging me to name our new little girl "Maple." We'll see what happens come February ... :-) 

Maple and Willow Together
by Lori Nichols
  • Great for - boys, girls, siblings, ages 2-6
  • What I love about this book - See comments above (more of the same). But I also love how this particular story perfectly captured the essence of real sibling life. As in, it's not all daisies and roses. But I especially love the resolution in this story - it's just sweet. And fun. And fairly realistic. :-) You'll enjoy it. 
  • What my Kids love about this book - They mainly love that we got another book about Maple. But it was also a good teaching tool, as my 4 and 2 year-olds are currently working through "sibling irritation" at very high levels these days. No, this book is not going to address how to best deal with your kids when they fight; but it brings up a perfectly portrayed scenario that you can use to start up a conversation (that's not in "the heat of the moment").


Go! Go! Go! Stop!
by Charise Mericle Harper
  • Great for - any kids, ages 2-6, kids learning colors
  • What I love about this book - I suppose I could say that I love that this book teaches the meaning of red, green, and yellow traffic lights. If I sound hesitant, it's only because this wonderfully fun book has induced a season of "RED LIGHT/GREEN LIGHT" (yes, the game) in our house that never seems to end. My son won't do anything now without me "giving him the green light." :-\
  • What my Kids/Son love(s) about this book - As I mentioned, my kids think this book is great. Boys will love it because it has lots of silly, fun-looking construction vehicles. And our daughter loves it because of the basic color scheme that she has started identifying - red, green, and yellow (at the very end). So if you are ready to play 38,000 games of Red Light/Green Light, then by all means, buy this book. (Seriously, I'm sure your kids will love it. I'm just green-light-ed out.) 

And the winner for my 2014 children's book list is ... 

The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit
by Emma Thompson
  • Great for - EVERYONE. ALL AGES. 
  • What I love about this book - So far, I haven't found anything to NOT love about this book. But here's my simplified list: 1) The AUTHOR - It's by Emma Thompson. She's genius, folks. Sheer genius. 2) The CHARACTERS - It's about Peter Rabbit. No it's not an original Beatrix Potter tale, but Thompson, like no other, gets as close as anyone could. 3) The PICTURES - Eleanor Taylor = another genius. They're beautiful, and look so much like original Potter paintings. 4) The STORY - it's such a fun story, and with so many fun, big words (just like our friend Beatrix would use). 
  • What my kids love about this book - Actually, they don't yet, But that's because it's very new, and I've been too cheap to actually purchase it (I've only read through it in a bookstore). But I'm lobbying for my mom to take care of this dilema come Christmas ... 
  • THE BEST PART!!! - This book comes with a CD of Emma Thompson herself reading the story. My kids are really into story-on-CDs these days. And I honestly can't wait to hear this one being read by one of my favorite actresses. It's going to be a winner. I am really really hoping this is a lightning deal tomorrow. :-) 

Well, I hope that helpful to you. If you want to know about any other newer books, just let me know. I can tell you that This is a Moose, The Pigeon Needs a Bath, and EIEIO: How Old MacDonald Got His Farm with a Little Help from a Hen did NOT make the cut (just not impressed, no matter what the reviews). But happy book-browsing either way - and may your reading days with your kids be merry and bright! 

Megan for the Sisterhood 

No comments:

Post a Comment