11/12/2014

Quick Bread (for Bread Machines)

I know some of you may not even have a bread machine. But chances are, you're more like me and have one (that possibly your mother gave you) that you aren't quite sure what to do with. (I think my mom was in the same scenario, which is why I inherited the bread machine).  I acquired this recipe from a former colleague of mine, Judi Coats, and have LOVED throwing this quick bread together for meals (esp. when I run out of canned biscuits - yes, I have small children, so I resort to canned biscuits at times). So, whether or not you are a bread machine fanatic or if you simply have one but never use it, here's a quick, crowd-pleasing recipe that you can hopefully start using more than once a year.
NOTE: This works great as a side for a hot meal (particularly while it's still warm) as it has just a slight bit of sweetness to it; but it can also be used later for sandwiches, etc.




INGREDIENTS: Must put into bread machine IN THIS ORDER



  1. 12-13 oz. warm water
  2. 1/2 tsp. salt
  3. 2 Tbsp. butter (softened) - *occasionally I use coconut oil
  4. 1 Tbsp. molasses
  5. 2 Tbsp. powdered milk
  6. 3 C. flour (all-purpose)
  7. 1 C. oats (I use quick oats, but Old Fashioned oats are fine, just "chunkier") --> after oats, create a cradle in the middle of the dry ingredients in which to put the last 2 items.
  8. 2 Tbsp. sugar
  9. 4 tsp. fast-acting yeast


DIRECTIONS: Set bread machine to Quick Bake Program setting (on mine, it's #2) - should be about 58 min. total; normal crust; 2 lb. loaf (my Quick Bake program has the crust and lbs. pre-set to these). 


And that's it! It takes me all of 5 minutes to put everything into the machine - and then I just sit back and let it do it's job. :-) Hope you enjoy! 



Megan for the Sisterhood

2 comments:

  1. Could you use honey instead of the molasses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, my guess is that you could always try it and see how it works. Since it's not a "main" ingredient, I can't see it affecting the overall structure of the bread that much. So sure, go ahead and try it - and let us know how it goes! We love substituting things (like the coconut oil) and would love hearing more ideas like this.

      Delete