7/05/2015

In Memory


July 5, 2004 was a day that changed the Pfeiffer family forever. God suddenly took devoted wife and mother, Hope Pfeiffer home 11 years ago today. I did not know Hope, but I have the humble privilege of living every day with some of the people she loved dearest. At Samantha's graduation ceremony at the end of May I couldn't help but think about the undeserved privilege to enjoy one of the high points in a mother's life and yet Hope was not there to see it. She would have been bursting with joy to hear Samantha's valedictorian address, to crowd in for group pictures afterwards and enjoy dessert at Big Boy in celebration. And yet, she was not there.
 

In March of this year, Rob published a book entitled "Hope's Prayers". The cover of the book is a scanned image of Hope's prayer journal (looking carefully in the bottom half of the cover will reveal an impression of the words, "Family Prayer Requests/Answers"). The title of the book is comprised of letters in Hope's own handwriting that was extracted from her journal. The theme of the book is prayer. The main purpose of the book is to give Samantha and Michael a tangible way to know who Hope was. This book is a treasure. It is a treasure for two children who have been robbed of the chance to know their mother beyond the perspective of a 4 and 6 year old. It is a treasure for family members who miss Hope dearly. It is a treasure for friends who marvel at the survival of such a tragedy. It is a treasure for me who gets to, in Hope's place, love the children to whom the book is written.

In the pages of "Hope's Prayers" I learn intimate details of how

God carried some of the people that I love dearest through some dark days. I learn that my God has a perfect plan He is working out, even through pain. I learn that God answers prayer - sometimes years after the pray-er has died. It is through "Hope's Prayers" that I can identify a little better this year about the weight that 4th of July parades and fireworks brings to Hope's closest family. 



Many have asked how I feel about the book "Hope's Prayers". I suppose the inquiry is due to an awkward element of focusing on a first wife while being married to a second wife. I do not feel that awkwardness, however. I am thankful for "Hope's Prayers". The content of the book points my attention to a good God who not only worked in the Pfeiffer family in 2004, but also is working in the Pfeiffer family in 2015.


On this 11th anniversary of Hope's death, I am overwhelmed both by the joyous privilege it is to love Rob, Samantha, and Michael in her place and by the abundant grace of God which has been poured into my life.

Joanne

P.S. "Hope's Prayers" is available in paperback and electronic format via amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com


http://hopesprayers.com/ 
Hope's Prayers Facebook Page

2 comments: