6/24/2012

Summer Faves: Fruit Salsa and a Novel

(c) Microsoft Office 2012
So far, I am relishing this time of year like never before. Not only am I enjoying the beautifully warm weather, but I'm loving having a  child who is finally old enough to just run around outside for hours - granted, with supervision. This by no means describes a daily routine for me, but we have had plenty of opportunities for me to sit outside on our porch swing while he plays outside. And I've used the opportunities to get in some more reading - back to a summer reading program at long last (contented sigh).


I do have quite the list of books that I'm working through at this point, covering everything from biographies, to Christian growth books, to mystery fiction, to political non-fiction, to Christian historical fiction, to sports biographies (yes, because I love my husband), to just about everything else in between. However, I must also squeeze in my annual reading of one of my all-time favorite novels: Celia Garth


A yearly, favorite read:
Celia Garth, by Gwen Bristow
I don't know why it is I chose to make this my yearly summer read, but it might have something to do with the fact that it is set in colonial revolutionary Charleston, SC - a place that, in my mind, exudes sunshine, palm trees, fountains of sparkling water, and gorgeous beach-front property. If that doesn't say "summer," I don't know what does. Of course the novel hardly mentions any of the above items; but it does do a fantastic job of capturing both the descriptive beauty and tension of life in 1770s Charleston. I love it. I don't know that I could call it a deep read or even a life-changing read; but what I will tell you is that it involves mystery, action, tension, history, romance, wit, and sass. So, if you want something light and enjoyable, but intriguing and thrilling, help yourself to this piece of literary verve. (And the good news is that, after many years of being "out of print," Celia Garth is back on the paperback shelves - a much cheaper alternative to the first-edition-hardback-only copies I saved up for.)

To go along with some of these airier reading times, I'd also like to share a favorite summer recipe that I recently acquired from a good friend and tried out on our church's youth group - who ate up every last bit of this treat (not sure if it was because it was so good or because they're just teens). So here's a simple recipe for Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Tortilla Chips.


FRUIT SALSA:

  • Fruit - I usually use strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, and peaches. Others have used bananas (added right before serving), apples, and pineapples as well. 
  • Lemon Juice
Dice fruit into small cubes (as small as possible, given your kitchen tools). Mix together in a large bowl with 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice per 3-4 lbs. of fruit. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving (if possible). 

CINNAMON TORTILLA CHIPS: 
  • 1 package of flour tortillas (I usually get the medium sized ones - do NOT use corn tortillas, as these will not work)
  • 1-2 sticks of butter, melted
  • Cinnamon sugar sprinkle (if you need to make use the ratio of 1 tsp. cinnamon per 1 cup of sugar). 

Using a pizza cutter, slice flour tortillas into 8 triangles a piece and place onto a baking sheet. Wipe the tops of the tortillas with the melted butter, and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-7 minutes a batch (the first batch usually takes a little longer) - just don't let them get too brown. Let cool on a paper bag (or something similar) for a few minutes before storing (letting them "air out" will keep them from getting "chewy" during storage).

These chips are not only great with the fruit salsa, but they make a super-tasty garnish on all kinds of summer treats - ice cream, cobblers, pies, etc. They're also rather tasty all by themselves (or with a little bit of honey drizzled on them). So find your favorite way to snack with them, grab a good book, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to trying this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i knew as soon as i saw celia garth that this was you. =) also a fave of mine. and i'm gonna have to do this salsa and chips combo--looks super easy as well as being very fun to eat. praying your little girl arrives ASAP. =)

    ReplyDelete