11/14/2011

$7 Wall Art

Finished Wall Art
Sarah uses creativity and a tight budget to enhance the decor in her children's bedroom.  Here is a simple "do-it-yourself" idea to consider.


To make art for my kids' room, I needed something that would take up quite a bit of space on the wall, but woud be something affordable.  This project required the following materials:
  • framed canvas
  • fabric (enough to cover the canvas)
  • coordinating ribbon
  • staple gun
At Joann Fabrics, I bought a package of canvases and several yards of two different coordinating fabrics (Joann's regularly has 40% and 50% off coupons in their mailers & emails if you sign up for them - so budget bonus there! And the 3-pack of canvases are currently only $5.99!). When I got home, I cut the fabric just an inch larger on all sides than the size of the canvas (front surface + side surface + one inch). I pulled the fabric across the top and folded it to the back and stapled it in place.

Back View
Fabric and Ribbon stapled in place
Once I measured where I wanted the art to hang on the wall, I measured a coordinating ribbon to hang from a nail about 6 inches above the frame itself. I then stapled the ribbon to the back of the canvas frame. I hung it up and enjoyed it’s impact! Overall, this project cost me $21, or $7 a hanging - and right now, with Christmas sales going on, it might cost you even less!

1 comment:

  1. Another good idea would be to find giant stickers and write their name on the canvas which you have already covered with cloth, or for fun you can also add the meaning of their name, too.

    ReplyDelete