9/29/2012

Fall Favorites: Gingerbread Scones

Freshly baked gingerbread scones
So I did something totally spontaneous today - a surprise even to me, because not only have I been getting slower at doing anything, but I've also been battling a cold (must have had one of those right-before-delivery bursts of energy). Anyway, since the little cherub has still not arrived yet, I'm going to keep posting until she does. Today, as some of you may know, is national Coffee Day. And this culinary adventure began when I had to run to the store to get more coffee filters (I promised my husband a cup of coffee from his new bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee). While there, I also remembered I needed some more molasses. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, I was at home making this brand new recipe that I found on a bottle of molasses (not the one I purchased) in the store about an hour ago. It was the perfect fall treat to go with our warm beverages. So hopefully you can enjoy it too! Here it is:

Gingerbread Scones 
(compliments of Brer Rabbit Molasses)

The Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg, separated
  • sugar for sprinkling

My dry & wet ingredients before combining
In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine the molasses, milk, and egg yolk until smooth. Stir into the flour mixture until moistened. 

Scones heading into the oven
Turn out onto a floured surface; knead 6-8 times. (The dough at this point was pretty moist to me, so I ended up adding extra flour to the dough ball as I kneaded.) Pat into an 8" circle; cut into 8-12 wedges and place 1" apart on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Beat egg white until frothy; brush over scones. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. 

If you feel so inspired, you can also enjoy this yummy treat with your favorite warm beverage. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his Dunkin Donuts coffee while I enjoyed a wonderful cup of loose-leaf Irish Breakfast tea with mine. And even my two-year-old tried some scone and said "Yeah!" (interpretation: "I like it and I will eat some more now"). We'll definitely be using this one again. So to all of you - Happy Coffee Day!!

Enjoy with your favorite warm beverage - tea (me) or coffee (husband)

ps. yeah, I'm going to go crash on the couch for the rest of the night now. I'm no super-mom. :-)





2 comments:

  1. These look yummy! Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm....I'll be trying these ASAP. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete