2/13/2012

Spread a Little Love Around

(c) Microsoft Office
I don't know if you're excited about the holiday tomorrow or not (it's Valentine's Day by the way, in case you haven't been to Walmart recently). When I was in college, our campus was very clearly divided into two groups: the "Schmoopies" (ie. those who had a special someone, decked themselves out in pink and red, and would walk around flaunting flowers and helium balloons) and the "Grumpies" (generally females, who didn't have a special someone, wore all black, and went on and on about how V-day was yet another marketing scheme for card companies). Somehow I never fell into either category - and I think that's thanks to my mom, who always made Valentine's Day a fun family day. So in honor of all things red, my mom and I are going to share why this is our favorite holiday.

A Classic Valentine's Day - no boyfriends required
MOM: When I was a kid, my mother was a full time working mom, and at the end of the day was a worn-out mom. Holidays and birthdays came and went and were all pretty much understated – to put it mildly (or maybe I’m just an “over compensator”). But when my husband and I started our own home and family, I resolved that EVERYTHING was going to be a big deal - birthdays, holidays and special days – and especially Valentine’s Day! So every year I start getting ready for Valentine’s Day at the beginning of February – red and white lace tablecloth on the dining room table, lots of red and pink candles around the house, and, of course, the  quintessential hearts wreath on the front door.

My first valentine - a little old, but still special
MEGAN: It's true. And it's always been a fun break in the middle of the winter for me. My sister and I had fun anticipating it - and for me, it was the one time of the year I'd get my all-time favorite food - Shrimp (Mom would do shrimp cocktails for us). And we also had a rule - no store-bought valentines. They had to be homemade, even if it was something as simple as a red paper heart with "I Love You" written on it. I still have most of the valentines I got from my family throughout the years, and I love going back through and re-reading them. 

Special Dinner on Gee's China
MOM: With a husband who was a high school coach, very often evenings together were iffy, so Valentine’s Day at our house usually started with breakfast.  Heart shaped pancakes were made possible with the Williams-Sonoma heart shaped pancake forms. I was so excited when I found these! And then I always wanted to make sure that there was a special flower and favorite candy for the girls when they came home from school. And dinner was fancy and served on “Gee’s” china (My husband’s grandmother, "Gee," had handed down to me her red/pink/white china – perfect for a special Valentine’s Day dinner). 

MEGAN: What I didn't know was that after I left home, Valentine's Day Treats from my mother would follow me. During my first year teaching, she sent me a whole box of candy so that all of my students could get something special - and she probably dispelled some would-be "Grumpies" in my classes. I'm so thankful that this was and still is a family and friends holiday for me - not just something for couples. So even if you don't have a "special someone" or any family close by, I'm sure you can find a way to get together with some friends, do something special, and spread a little love around. 

*For some Valentine's Day ideas (some of which I'll probably be using), check out Less than Perfect Life of Bliss.

1 comment:

  1. So glad I'm not the only one who loves the holiday even if I don't have a "date" for the night. There are so many other people to enjoy the day with & really I just can't complain about a day filled with pink, red, chocolate & Reese's hearts!!

    ReplyDelete