10/12/2011

A Match Made in Heaven: the Engagement

In celebration of their anniversary in two days, Joanne shares her love story with Rob in two parts: the Engagement, and How it All Started.
 
Rob and Joanne
on the day of their engagement
Rob, a widower with two children, and I had been dating for two months when we got engaged. It was Saturday, April 29, 2006, and I got up early for a dentist appointment before a music meeting I was attending at church. Rob and I had been in the habit of having a main date for the week one time during the weekend. We had been out for dinner Friday evening, April 28th, so I was very surprised when Rob showed up at the church at the end of my meeting the following morning. When I saw Rob, I figured we’d be getting engaged; however, I had no idea what the rest of the day was going to hold.

Our first destination was Greenfield Village (a historical outdoor museum not far away). We discovered upon arrival that it was “Day Out with Thomas the Train.” The whole place was swarming with Thomas-loving toddlers and their parents, aunts, uncles, grandmas, and grandpas. At the time, I didn’t realize we were in a time crunch, but Rob was struggling amidst the crowds of people to find a secluded spot. We finally worked our way to where a quaint chapel was. While I went to use the restroom nearby, Rob claimed a quiet spot behind the chapel, and I came out to find him waiting with a picnic lunch he had packed, complete with red food coloring hearts painted on our sandwiches.

As we finished our lunch, Rob pulled some papers out of his pocket and proceeded to read a poem he had written to me:

The eighteenth day of November
Will be a day I always remember.
While being discouraged and dismayed,
I looked to the Lord and prayed,
“God, I want the woman you would choose for me,
Not one based simply on what I see.”
I was encouraged and believed He heard,
But I had no idea how quickly it could have occurred.

On that very same blessed 18th day
Samantha’s teacher had something to say.
Your name and a few of your traits she shared
As she spoke, to my desires I compared
Finding a match in all she said.
I needed to pray more, not rush ahead.
For weeks I prayed and consulted many,
Looking for support or negatives, if any.
Not one flaw in the plan could I see
Is this really the one? Could she be?

After talking to you for the first few days,
I was excited in so many ways,
A better match than I knew
I was realizing was true of you.
A woman who loved God with all her might,
Strongly desiring to do all that was right.
A woman who loved kids of every kind
Also having an astute mind.

Again I prayed asking God to show His way.
I received a call later that same day.
An offer was made and I could not deny
This was God’s answer to my cry.
Grandma Albright offered to give her ring for me to use.
This was an offer I couldn’t refuse.
Some of the delay in me getting you a ring
Has been the complication this did bring.

Here today I have something special for you
Brought together by the efforts of few.
Joanne Elizabeth Albright,
Everything about us is right.
In every way you are an answer to my prayer,
A woman more spiritual, intelligent, mature, loving, and fair
I know I will not find.
So I now ask you what has been on my mind.

Will you, Joanne Elizabeth Albright, spend the rest of your life
With me, living as husband and wife?
Will you on this day
Agree to marry me?
 
Rob then presented me with a ring containing the diamond from my grandmother’s wedding ring. I was completely surprised and pleased to have Grandma’s diamond!
 
Joanne's Engagement Ring
 After I said “Yes!” Rob explained that we needed to go meet up with his parents to get the kids. And there, I was greeted by another surprise when we reached his house - my mom, dad, sister, grandmother, aunt, and uncle, in addition to Rob’s parents and sister were there to have an engagement party cookout with us. April 29, 2006 was a full day of joy in God’s work in my life that I will always remember with fondness.
 
Cake for the Engagement Party


1 comment:

  1. So sweet, and you two are a very special couple, and I'm so blessed to know you. Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete